Sunday, October 4, 2015

How To: Thrift Shop Clothes


 Hello Everyone! Hope you are doing well. I thought today I could share with you some of my tips and tricks when it comes to thrift shopping. Thrift shopping is probably one of my favorite things to do back home, and honestly most of my wardrobe is thrifted!
Its cheap but you also have cute, one of a kind pieces. I like to think of it sort of like treasure hunting, you don't find something every time you go, but when you find something you like its wonderful! So today I will share five of my favorite outfits I have thrifted and ways to look for the perfect pieces.


Tip 1: Look for fun patterns. I usually keep my eyes out for fun florals or stripes. I found the shirt and jacket at Plato's Closet and the shorts and shoes at Goodwill. The shorts were actually originally high waisted pants, but I cut them into some fun summer shorts. All of these items were less than $10, which is usually my goal. 


Tip 2: Look for fun textures. I like to keep my eye out for pretty lace or knitted/embroidered things.  This whole outfit was found at Goodwill, and all the items were again under $10. When buying shoes from Goodwill its good to look for shoes that are not very worn out and dirty. I like this outfit because it looks nice, but is also comfortable. I also like that people say "cute skirt" and I get to say "actually they are pants, but thank you!" :)


Tip 3: Be crafty with it! I have purchased many dresses or other clothing items that have not quite fit right. So be crafty with it! This dress used to be a long, awkward length so I cut it (and forgot to hem it, sorry mom!) to a shorter length to look better. The same thing can be done with turning pants into shorts or with shirts. Don't be afraid to venture out their with different clothing pieces, you will never know what you will find! This dress was purchased at Goodwill, and again the jacket is from Plato's Closet. (See a trend in where I shop?;) )


Tip 4: Don't dismiss the accessory sections! I have found some of my favorite necklaces and shoes from thrift stores. This necklace and shirt were both from Plato's Closet and the Steve Madden shoes and jeans are from Goodwill, all very cheap! I also have quite a few purses from Goodwill, they have simple leather purses that I really like.


Tip 5: Sizes don't always matter. When it comes to shirts and sweaters, sizes don't always matter because the big, flowy style is in! You can also make adjustments to clothing items with a belt or safety pins! Or actually sewing them to the right fit. The jeans are from Goodwill and the shirt and jacket are from Plato's Closet. (And my mom made the scarf, its my favorite! You can buy nifty knitters from crafts stores to easily make scarves and hats.) Match fun colors and patterns for the perfect fall look!

Hope you liked todays topic! Show me what your favorite thrift store finds are, I would love to see!

XOXO, Sarah Elizabeth


A little update on myself: Sadly fall has not come here yet in Arizona. I don't know if it ever will? Not fall like Colorado at least, but I can't complain because the weather here is beautiful. Its finally cooling down to low 90's this week. School has been going really well and I love GCU! But, I do miss Colorado A LOT. Nothing beats the crisp air and snowy mountains in Colorado's fall season. I'll be back soon enough though! Miss and love you all so much <3 Have a wonderful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment