Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Sarah's Homemade Taco Soup


Hello Everyone! I hope you are having a good holiday season. Sorry I have not posted in a while, I have been busy with school and travel! I am home for the holidays and could not be more happy. I love the beautiful Colorado winters and spending time with family and friends. And, Christmas is right around the corner! That means it is time for lounging by the fireplace and playing board games with the family, now that school is out. Also, it means time for delicious food. Today I wanted to share with you my recipe for Taco Soup. It is super easy to make and only has a few ingredients!



I whipped this recipe up last night, not even thinking of taking pictures of the cooking process! But, it is easy enough that I can just talk you though it.

Ingredients: Makes 6-8 Servings
1 small can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 regular can of diced tomatoes
1 can of whole kernel corn
1 can of black beans
1 onion
1 tbs. of Garlic
1+ cup of Chicken broth (more or less)
1/2 a jar of Trader Joe's Salsa Verde
1/3 a jar of Herdez Mild Salsa
Tabasco sauce to taste, if you want to add some heat
Chicken

Extra toppings: Sour Cream, Cheese, Green Onion, Tortilla Chips, Hot Sauce, Avocado

Start by chopping up the onion finely, or to whatever size you wish. Then, cook together the Onions and Garlic with some butter at medium heat, in your large cooking pot, to soften them. About 15-20 minutes. Do not let them burn or turn brown! If you plan on letting your soup cook together for a few hours, then the onions do not have to be completely softened because they will keep cooking over the hours.

Next, add both cans of tomatoes to the pot. I did not want the big, chunky, tomatoes in my soup so with a hand held blender, I coarsely blended the tomatoes to make more of a sauce. As you can see in the pictures, I only did this to some of the tomatoes, because there are still large bits of the tomato. If you wish, or do not have a hand held blender, you can blend all of the tomatoes ahead of time in a blender.

Next, add the cans of corn and black beans. I drained out some of the liquids from the cans, but it is good to keep a little bit for extra flavor! Then stir.

After this, open your jar of Trader Joe's Salsa Verde. You can use any kind of salsa verde, I just prefer this type, its so yummy and adds great flavor. Pour about half of the jar of salsa verde into your soup. Then open your jar of Herdez Salsa, and pour about a third of it into your soup. For this step, you can use any red salsa, I just like the flavor of the Herdez salsa! If your are looking for the same delicious turn out, just as I was, I would recommend using these two brands of salsa. This is where a lot of the delicious flavor comes from. They are so yummy and fairly inexpensive! I then dashed it with some Tabasco sauce because I like it a little spicy, but you do not have to do this if you don't want to.

Then, I poured some chicken broth into the mixture so it would thin out. You can do this, but you do not have to. I think I added a few cups of broth, you can't really go wrong with how much you add. It all just depends on how thick or thin you want the soup!

We wanted to add some meat to the soup, so we added just a small bag of rotisserie chicken that we had in the freezer. You can add any meat you want, or keep it vegetarian.

After this I just let the soup cook for a few hours on low heat, mostly just so that it stayed warm until everyone came home for dinner. I would recommend letting it cook for at least 30 minutes after you add all the ingredients, just so that it has time to come together. Or, you can prepare it earlier in the day and let it cook for a few hours, like I did. It makes about 6-8 servings. We had enough for yummy leftovers the next day:) I just reheated it on the stove and added some sour cream and it was delicious!


I hope you enjoyed today's post! If you have any questions or comments, leave them below. Happy Holidays!!

XOXO, Sarah Elizabeth


No comments:

Post a Comment