Saturday, January 17, 2015

DIY: Simple Dress. Or Shirt. Or Whatever You Would Like It To Be.


Hello everyone, I hope you are having a wonderful day! Today I am going to show you how to make this dress. It is so comfy and flowy and VERY easy to make. I forgot to take pictures as I went along, so afterwards I drew out the tutorial instructions. If you have any comments or questions, feel free to contact me or leave it below. Enjoy!!




Step 1:
You can use any thin flowy fabric for this DIY. I used a cheap dark grey T-shirt knit. I chose a plain color so that in the future I can match it with ay color, any season. You will need a couple yards of fabric, its always good to have extra. I chose 80 cm because I am so small, so you may need more. For length of the dress started at 95cm; however, I ended cutting a bit off the end. This drawing is an estimate, and I definitely messed up the proportions on the drawing, sorry:) You will fold your block of fabric in half, then cut down center. This will lead you with two pieces of fabric, one for the front and one for the back.


Step 2:
Keep in mind, you will do this step twice. Take one of the blocks of fabric and fold it in half again, BUT DO NOT CUT. This will ensure that your dress will be symmetrical. You can layer your blocks and usually that would be easiest, but sadly my fabric would not do that for some reason. So, you may do that but you do not have to!


Step 3:
Remember to this step twice unless you layered your fabric. For this step, you will need to measure around your bosom (sorry for spelling it wrong in the drawing, oops!) Then take one fourth of the measurement. This measurement is how far you will need to go out for the chest. You may want to add a couple centimeters so it is not to tight. I used the following link as a reference for cutting out the dress, but the directions is in Spanish so that makes it a bit tricky! In this step, you will draw out the form you would like and cut.

(http://moldesedicasmoda.blogspot.pt/2014/01/vestido-facil-de-fazer-3.html)


Step 4:
Take both the front and back pieces and layer them so the edges are matched. Then sew as marked above. I used a machine, but if you do not have access to one you can hand sew. Do not forget to end your seam properly. Try the dress on after it has been sewed and see if it needs any alterations. I ended up giving mine a bit of a deeper neck and chopped off a couple centimeters from the bottom. 



Step 5:
Don't forget to hem your dress if it needs it. You can also give it some lace trim to add a bit of a flare. You can wear as a dress, or tie it with a hidden belt as I did. I paired mine with a scarf but a pretty necklace would suit it just as well. Congrats, you are all done!:) If you have any questions or comments let me know! Share on Facebook if you enjoyed, have a wonderful day!



I also happened to make the scarf I was wearing in this picture. It is even easier than this dress tutorial! Take any size block of fabric and fold it in half. Then sew the edge like the picture above. you can fray the edges a bit, or leave a crisp line. 


Here is a page you can print off with just the pictured directions:








No comments:

Post a Comment